Some question about the Pentax Q, and the available adapters

Started Dec 10, 2012 | Questions thread
mrschmo
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?
Re: Some question about the Pentax Q, and the available adapters
In reply to holidayphoto, Dec 11, 2012

holidayphoto wrote:

I already have a DSLR camera, a Canon EOS 300D with a 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 lens.

But I really want to buy this Q-to-EOS adapter. If I calculate it right, with this set up and the 5,5x crop factor, I would 'have' a 100-1100mm lens. I'm so looking forward seeing this ridiculous setup.

So my question to you is:

If I would buy this Q-to-EOS adapter to use my lens (eos mount, 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 lens) will I be able to still change the aperture on the lens? And will I be able to shoot macro shots as well as tele shots?

I have the Q and EOS adapter and a 50mm 1.8 prime.  The prime is unfortunately unusably soft wide open with the Q.  Others have stated that the Q's sensor is hard on third party lenses.  Stopped down between f4 and f8 the images from my nifty fifty are awesome tough.  I stop down the aperture with my Canon 10D, then press and continue to hold down the depth of field preview button, and remove the lens.  The aperture stays put.

Anyway, I'm suspecting your superzoom will make really soft pics on the Q as did my Tamron 55-200mm, whick was very sharp on my Canon.

If I were you, I'd sell the canon kit, and buy the q with either the wide zoom or prime, and get the 06 zoom.  It's an awesome camera, and the q zooms are small, inexpensive, autofocus, and allow for 1/250 sec flash sync. with a mounted flash or higher using the built in flash.  It's fun to use and produces very nice images.  Experiment with adapters and cheap used manual focus primes on ebay if you have the money later.

mrschmo's gear list:mrschmo's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Rokinon 85mm F1.4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow