>>>> Street Photography eXchange #27 <<<

Started Dec 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
dkloi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,856Gear list
Like?
Re: Colour or Monochrome?
In reply to fad, Dec 11, 2012

fad wrote:

Before thinking about technical questions, I like to ask what is the story here? I guess it is the dour face shot from below at the end of frame in front of a dark building. The maroon dress in the corner is a distraction, so I prefer BW.

For me the question would be what does the tight crop on the woman do for us, and is there anything else in the frame to balance her out?

With the previously posted versions, I made the mistake of editing them on a new large gamut display without having it profiled so the colours and contrast aren't as I actually wanted them to be. I've reprocessed them on a colour managed system and include them below

This is my take on the two versions. In the monochrome version, it's the contrast of lit face against the moody dark building, but there is a tunnel of light formed by the converging lines receding to the vanishing point. There's a look of grim determination in the face as she grits her teeth as she goes where ever she needs to be. The city is simultaneously foreboding and illuminated/illuminating.

For the colour version: the contrasts are not just in terms of brightness but also in terms of colour hues. It's the cold blue against the warmth of the sun's rays. The beckoning tunnel of light against the foreground figure. Instead of just a dour face, the colour of the skirt hints at livelier times. The red of the bus draws the eye into the vanishing point, somewhat offsetting the colour in the skirt and breaking some of the monotony of the blue in the left of the frame. There's a triangle formed by the bus, face and skirt fitting in with the converging lines.

In both versions, the tunnel of light is the balance to the figure on the right. The radially converging lines are like spokes against which the figure is in opposition by being tangential. I could put in a vignette but that'd be just being heavy-handed :-). The crop works I think, The gaze of the face is directed so directly into the frame with an intensity of expression that having it at the extreme right means it doesn't over dominate the frame. It also reinforces the feeling of the figure coming into the light.

Upon further reflection, I think I prefer the monochrome but because of the extra punch and contrast between the figure and the background. I can't achieve the same level of hue contrast in the colour version without it becoming too unsubtle. Anyway, thanks for the comments. It's useful to analyse one's own pictures to see if your evaluation of them is overly influenced by your memories and feelings when taking them.

Cheers,
Daniel.

dkloi's gear list:dkloi's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OTOHNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow