Very disappointed with Canon T4i (650D) - over-exposed/washed out pictures

Started Dec 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Oilman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,701Gear list
Like?
Both my 7D and 450 slightly overexpose using evaluative exposure in in landscape shots
In reply to karl mohr, Dec 11, 2012

as trees are dark green You need to remember that the camera is not smart. It exposes for 18% gray. If a scene is darker, like a dark green forest it will over expose. If a scene is lighter, like snow, it will underexpose. As others have mentioned check your histogram and look at your shots after you take them so you can adjust appropriately. I use center weighted averaging most of the time and have no problems.

Finally most monitors are set too bright for accurate color and tone .Super bright  monitor setings sell in the showroom but do not work for photography

It is likely that there is nothing wrong with your camera. DSLR's require a learning curve and the most common post we get here is generally something to the effect of "I just bought this expensive camera and my pictures are lousy. Once you post the pictures we can give you a better answer

As BAK suggests, get a good book on photography and buy David Busch's book on how to use your camera. Learn how to use Av TV and manual modes. Learn how to shoot RAW and post process Keep shooting and post your results on this forum for comment.

-- hide signature --

The first camera bag you buy is always too small
http://www.flickr.com/geofiz

Oilman's gear list:Oilman's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
imqqmi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow