Do all steadycams have the floating effect?

Started Dec 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
caterpillar
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,578
Like?
Practice on technique
In reply to compositor20, Dec 11, 2012

compositor20 wrote:

I have seen many steadycam videos and some of them just look stable when the cameraman is walking but there are others that have a fantastic effect that it looks like it is floating...

Can cheap EBAY steadycam like the one linked below do that effect?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Easy-Cam-digital-DSLR-Camera-Stabiliser-Camcorder-Stabilizer-Steady-cam-UK-/180937693267?pt=UK_Tripods_Heads_Stablisers&hash=item2a20ba1853

It would be used in wedding videos.

Thanks.

I noticed this years ago.  It is the yaw and pitch that is causing that.  Vertical and horizontal movement is not the only thing you have to master. If you can stop or minimize the yaw and pitching, you will greatly reduce this effect. That would mean a lot of practice. Practice, practice, practice!

I also found out that if the camera has it's own stabilizer, this effect is greatly reduced. However, there is no substitute to practice, especially if the camera does not have it's own stabilizer, which, more often, is the case.

In some instances, this effect is even desired if to make a dreamy effect. In many cases, viewers don't notice this, as they are more concentrated on the content or the viewing experience itself.

-- hide signature --

-------------------- - Caterpillar 'Always in the process of changing, growing, and transforming.'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow