Looking for a good walk about lens for D800

Started Dec 7, 2012 | Questions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,452Gear list
Like?
Oh boy....
In reply to OldDigiman, Dec 11, 2012

Let's read the OP original post. He mentions a lens LIKE THE 18-200mm.

If you want a small walk-around zoom that has VR and lots of reach Nikon has no such lens. That leaves the Tamron 28-300 VC, which is fine and optically on par with Nikon's version, but SMALLER.

If you don't mind the size go for the Nikon 28-300. It's quite good.

The 24-120 F4 is BIG and as a walkaround one lens solution the versatility of the 28-300 clobbers it. Folks jabber on about optical quality, but these ALL have consumer grade optics. Good stuff, but not on par with fully blown pro lenses. (I'm a self-admitted "hater" of this lens due to price/performance ratio)

If you want a SMALL walkaround lens with VR you're only left with the 24-85 VR which I judged superior to the other lenses here, but it lacks that extra reach, active/normal VR switch and weather sealing. It's my favorite walkabout lens period and I own the good stuff too.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of them, but if you want things small then look at the Tamron or Nikon 24-85vr.

Cheers,

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow