Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,083
Like?
Re: That's the one!
In reply to Omni88, Dec 11, 2012

Omni88 wrote:

Midwest wrote:

007peter wrote:

Hey buddy, I know exactly what you talking about. My old XSi/450d takes great outdoor photo, but when I upgraded to a newer Canon T1i/500d, all my outdoor photo came back WASH-OUT and OVER-EXPOSED. As as long time canon shooter, I'm familiar with all the in-n-out of canon, and its not my technique since I'm been taking great photo with canon for a long time.

The culprit is canon's horrible implementation of AUTO LIGHT OPTIMIZATION.

Canon take a (1) properly exposed photo + (2) over-exposed to eliminate any shadows = (3) a badly over-expsoed photograph that is lifeless.

Take a look at this review from ww.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/eos_rebel_t4i-review/print

without ALO

from www.dcresource.com on ALO OFF

with ALO

from www.dcresource.com on ALO ON

Focus your attention on the TREES & SHRUB on the LEFT. Noticed:

• outdoor Trees & Shrub are probably exposed without ALO, but
  • outdoor Trees & Shrub are badly over-exposed with ALO (like a fake HDR)

Solution are:

• TURN OFF ALO
  • SHOOT RAW

The auto lighting optimizer setting is what I've seen get the blame for washed out photos before. I bet the OP had this turned on.

-- hide signature --

Do people really spend $700 on a camera so they can take a picture of a squirrel or a duck?

This is interesting! I will have to check when I get home to see if this is in fact turned on... (I can't remember right now where that setting is buried in the menus... so I'll have to look it up)

Auto Lighting optimizer setting is on the second menu tab (from the left) and second one down on that list. Easy to find. I know I've seen this exact thing posted in the past. What good it is if it causes problems, I don't know - maybe it's just for special circumstances. But I'll be interested to find out if it's turned on.

-- hide signature --

Do people really spend $700 on a camera so they can take a picture of a squirrel or a duck?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
imqqmi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow