Guessing the DOF scales on the Wife's S100?

Started Dec 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
umanemo
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?
Guessing the DOF scales on the Wife's S100?
Dec 10, 2012

I have had a tough time judging my DOF range needs using the Wife's S100. I think that camera pulls out some very surprising images for such a small sensor and I love to give it a challenge everytime I get it in my hands!

Shooting with it, always manually, I frequently find it quite a project to accurately relate the "Manual Focus" scale to any relationship with a DOF range. For instance, I AF on an object in the foreground of my composition that I wish to include in the range of focused objects. Then I read the manual scale after switching over to MF. Let's just say it shows I have focused at 10 Ft. Now I want to include that object and everything else in focus out to infinity. I set the manual focus to a distance about halfway between the 10 Ft. and infinity, then I go through the aperatures; f5.6-6.3-7.2-and finally 8. I have even used ND to gain DOF. Now realizing that I am shooting at the lenses widest limit, 24mm, the widest setting for this lens, I still cannot pull out that DOF range?

Maybe I should set the MF scale to infinity and just settle for what I get.

I would like to know if anyone has worked out a DOF chart for the Focal length/Aperature/MF scale relationships. It may be as simple as a confirmation that this lens has only an [X] range of DOF usability even when maxing the aperature?

I know this is asking a lot from this type of camera but when I borrow it I want to use it a but more technically sometimes and leave all of the heavy gear at home once in a while!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow