Looking for a good walk about lens for D800

Started Dec 7, 2012 | Questions thread
Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,386Gear list
Like?
Re: Looking for a good walk about lens for D800
In reply to OldDigiman, Dec 10, 2012

I'm not sure what you are saying here. My testing on the D800E shows that the 35mm f2 AIs outresolves the 24-85 VR in the center of the frame and smokes it in the corners with both lenses at f5.6. So, no, the 24-85 is not up to the resolution of the D800E, because the D800E is capable of resolving more with better optics on it. Whether or not the 24-85 is good enough for one's purposese is an entirely different question (I would say that generally it will be).

This is simply flat out wrong.  Do your research. The 24-85VR has 3899 lwph at 24mm at f8 which is higher than the Nikon 35D or the Zeiss 21 for that matter:

Photozone

Nikon has some little idea of how to build a lens, and this one has the right set of compromises for a small zoom intended for a high res sensor. If sharp corners are needed, crop or put on a prime, as I already said.

As well, the 24-85 passes the 400% pixel viewing test, wherein it it shows clearly defined stairsteps at 400%, indicating that the lens has done its job and is now out of the resolution equation.Want higher resolution, buy a 50MP camera.  Simple.

Nice try, though.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow