Looking for a good walk about lens for D800

Started Dec 7, 2012 | Questions thread
Manny82
Contributing MemberPosts: 571
Like?
Re: Looking for a good walk about lens for D800
In reply to Kevin Nguyen, Dec 10, 2012

Kevin Nguyen wrote:

I just came back from WDW and drag along all my gears. OUCH it was heavy. 70-200, 24-70, etc...

Looking to invest in a nice good walk about lens. Similar to the Nikon 18-200 DX lens, but for FX. Sigma, Tamron, Tokina. Any good suggestion?

Thanks

Hi Kevin,

A few recommendations i would make:

Primes

A fast prime on a budget - Nikon 50mm f/1.8

Or maybe two fast primes - Nikon 28mm f/1.8 and 50mm f/1.8. These are much better than the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8.

Zooms

A zoom on a budget would be the Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-f4.5 VR. This is a very good lens for the price. I know other people here have advised to get the Nikon 24-120mm f/4 instead, but trust me, other than the focal length, it isn't much of an upgrade at all. It is however A LOT more expensive. Every lens i've spoke of so far i have owned, so i'm not just making this stuff off thin air.

Leading me to my final recommendation. If you've got a bit more money to spend, in fact it's only the same price as the Nikon 24-120mm f/4, get the Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8. If you need the versatility of a zoom, performance of the Nikon 24-70mm and low-light ability of a fast prime, then this the one to get. It's decently priced, has a good focal range, and is the only zoom to have a 2.8 aperture with VR - therefore it can outperform even the 1.8 primes in this regard too when it comes to night shots.

I currently don't own the Tamron but it is next on my list having returned every other zoom i have mentioned so far.

Hope that helps.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow