Started Dec 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CG_Photography
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Canon 600mm is II or... Nikon 600mm vr + new d800
Dec 10, 2012

Ok first a confession, I currently shoot a canon 5d mk ii and have had a good experience with Canon equipment (don't stone me :-)).  I have been waiting/saving for a couple of years for the Canon 600mm is II lens; my father on the other hand shoots Nikon so I have some experience with and a healthy respect for Nikon and the D800 as well.  Since the price of the new canon 600mm is so much higher than the old version, and the sensor tech of the D800 is so advanced, I find myself wondering I should not get the Nikon 600mm and a new D800 for about the same price as just the Canon lens.  I know the 5d mk III vs d800 issue has been debated to death; for my purposes I think the D800 is has the edge, but not overwhelmingly so.

1.  Can anyone who has shot the super teles in both brands tell me if there is any significant quality difference?  (again don't stone me, but over in Canon land there is a sentiment that even the older Canon lenses outperformed the current Nikon superteles... please tell me if you disagree ;-))

2.  Can someone who has used the Nikon 600mm on a D800 tell me how lense handles the resolution of its high megapixel sensor?

3. How is the 600mm regarded in the Nikon community (I know its great but sometimes one super tele is lauded just a bit more that the others within a brand line)?  Specs aside (since I can see those online) how does the Nikon 600mm compare to the other Nikon superteles?

What do you guy think?

Thanks in advance for any reply:-D

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow