Very disappointed with Canon T4i (650D) - over-exposed/washed out pictures

Started Dec 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
10s
10s
Regular MemberPosts: 198Gear list
Like?
Re: Very disappointed with Canon T4i (650D) - over-exposed/washed out pictures
In reply to Omni88, Dec 10, 2012

Almost everyone of those 1000 pictures are washed out and/or over-exposed. Anything that has white or shades of light greys are crushed into a bright white. Outdoor shots of what should be beautiful dark green palm trees and green grass are washed out or over-exposed.

Maybe the camera auto mode made compromises you did not want to make (see below).

It might also be your monitor is badly calibrated, displaying images brighter than they really are. This can be judged by inspecting the histogram of your pictures, preferably right after you took the shot.

At midday in Mexico the light is very bright and the light intensity differences between light and dark is too high for any camera to capture. Then you as a photographer have to choose what is more important: the highlights or the shadows. You can use the AV+/- button to change exposure. Highlight tone priority also helps to improve the dynamic range by a stop. I use RAW to be able to recover blown out highlights (to a certain extent this is also possible in JPEG except for the clipped and extreme highlights).

10s's gear list:10s's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
imqqmi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow