Started Dec 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hoboken Michelle
Regular MemberPosts: 104Gear list
Like?
G1-X - flash exposure metering in manual mode...feedback sought
Dec 10, 2012

As per the official review of the camera on this website, there is this paragraph:

"For reasons known only to Canon, there's no option for TTL flash exposure metering in Manual Exposure mode; instead you have to set the flash output manually. We don't understand this at all; having manual flash control as an option is great, but having it as the only option seems perverse. You do get full TTL flash in Av, Tv and P modes (with flash compensation up to +/- 2EV in 1/3 stop steps), but this won't always allow you to get precisely the results you want."

I am curious to know if this has been a problem for users over the last year?  As a shutter speed priority gal, I have been tempted to wanna move toward full manual mode and yet, my initial thought is that this sounds REALLY crippling.  Thus, in the function menu, it sounds like I really playing with a deck of cards in guessing as to whether I wish to set the flash at minimum, moderate or maximum!

But then also how should one be expected to interpret the last sentence of that section "...but this won't always allow you to get precisely the results you want."  I don't recall seeing this warning (or one very similar to it) with other "premium compact" cameras. Those external reviews of this camera talking about its flash exposure metering seem to be extolling the praises of the camera's ability in this regard (IQ).  And yet, here on DPreview, the writer SEEMS to be hinting that even with full TTL flash availability, the results are even subpar.

Hoboken Michelle's gear list:Hoboken Michelle's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow