GX1 - thoughts after a week of intense use from a Nikon shooter

Started Dec 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Spotpuff
Regular MemberPosts: 102Gear list
Like?
Re: GX1 - thoughts after a week of intense use from a Nikon shooter
In reply to MAubrey, Dec 10, 2012

Maybe that's why the 20mm f1.7 is on sale right now with certain camera purchases.  The 20mm f1.7 is not horrendously slow but as you said the whole lens assembly moves, vs the 24 f2.8 and I guess the 14-42 kit lens.  I was very surprised at the difference in focusing speed; the 14-42 kit lens is VERY fast. As fast as I've seen with the best lenses from Nikon.

The 20mm f1.7 is a bit slow; sort of like my 50mm f1.4 AF-S from Nikon, but the Nikon hunts less in low light so it doesn't seem as slow as the 20mm f1.7.

Hopefully if there's a new 20mm f1.7 it won't be too expensive or I can recoup my cost on the 20mm f1.7 v1

MAubrey wrote:

Spotpuff wrote:

-AF speed - someone has to explain to me why focus speed on the 20mm f1.7 is "slow" (not horrible but pretty slow) while focus speed on the cheap 14-42 kit lens is blazing fast. One costs $50 and the other $280+.

That's simple. The 20mm f/1.7 is an "old" lens whose focusing motor isn't well designed for the camera. The same is true for a number of lenses that came out in 2008-09, the Olympus 17mm f/2.8 being the other most frustrating one. The original versions of the Olympus kit lens were problematic, too.

If there's one lens that's due for a mkii, its the 20mm f/1.7.

-- hide signature --

--Mike

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow