Leo360
Senior MemberPosts: 1,031
Like?
Re: Because the OP's motivations had merit and deserved discussion
In reply to Theodoros Fotometria, Dec 10, 2012

Theodoros Fotometria wrote:

Leo360 wrote:

moving_comfort wrote:

Trying to make sure the baby isn't thrown out with the bathwater, in other words. Higher-res sensors have several advantages, one of which is that a downsampled high-res shot is often 'better' than the same a shot at that lower native resolution.

+1.

In DSP it is a common practice to oversample first and then down-sample. Very often leads to better results than just sampling at the lower rate to begin with. Also makes low-pass filters shorter and frequency response (in the domain of interest) flatter.

Leo

Leo.... this method is to much the exact dimensions of print required... (I use it sometimes with customers that insist on exact dimensions) ...it's not to achieve the best possible print...

Let me explain (last time)... if you upsample the original 16x, you create a scene that bares no res. advantage to the original, but now (because you have isolated the pixels that are likely to be affected - i.e. the first one and the fourth one from each side of the original pixel), when you downsample to the required size, the dpi that will be affected are less... Still the best print will be if you print the original unaltered and aim at the nearest print size of which the dpi divide exactly with the ppi of the original!

In other words it's a trick to have the least possible losses... not to improve the original... In this case the trick will lead to a slightly better print than the original, only if the required print size leads to dpi that don't divide exactly with the original's ppi for the size!

Theodoros
http://www.fotometria.gr
http://www.fotometriawedding.gr

Theo, I am sorry but I give up. You are just repeating the things you said before despite all the evidence on the contrary. If you cannot see upsampling with your naked eye it does not mean it does not exist. "Joseph S. Wisniewski" was one of the developers of the Gutenprint printer drivers. He attests to the fact that at least those drivers do up-sample. I think your goal in this discussion is just to stand your ground and I am not interested in such games.

Leo

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow