Longer lens for Models – how to make them thinner?

Started Dec 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lukep
Senior MemberPosts: 1,897
Like?
Dec 10, 2012

Hello – yes I do know about lens compression and making flatter faces and so on.  And as well about wide angles and how they distort features for models shoots.

But even still I would like to hear any other subtleties you all might have.  Shooting D200 with 35 f2, 50 1.8, 105 vr, and 70-200.  Probably the 70-200 should be the go to lens.

But in the past I have gotten great results with the 35f2 as long as its full body

For head and shoulders would you keep it over 100mm?

This is just for family shots, im not a pro or ofcourse I would know all the answers

I did some shots for my family Christmas card and they came out GREAT.  Only problem shots were closer head and shoulder shots when I didn’t change lenses to something longer.   (Shooting full family with my Fuji X100 and D200 + 35 f2)

I also shot with my Fuji X100 and yes I know its pretty wide.  But if I really back up the strange thing is that wide lens can make the model really thin – is there something I am missing her

Any tips to help me would be much appreciated!!!

I really like the contrast and lines on the shot below but there is too much distortion I think – between shooting full family and then single waist up shots I didn’t change lenses

But now this photo to me looks better, probably due to the fact I was further away to avoid distortion?

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow