The nightmare scenario for an M4/3's camera.....

Started Dec 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 19,699Gear list
Like?
The nightmare scenario for an M4/3's camera.....
Dec 10, 2012

In fact the vast majority of cameras to be honest. Unpredictable mixed lighting, ranging from ok to none, frequent fast unpredictable action, flash not permitted and to cap it all off, photographer wedged into cramped seating with a frequently obstructed view. This was my world when I went to see the Military Tournament at Earls Court in London. Formerly known as the Royal Tournament, I remember going to see it as a boy with my father so it was nice to see it once again through his eyes. I had to use every trick in the book to get some shots other than snaps of distant bands containing rows of bald heads in the foreground. These ranged from cropping, cloning and shooting mainly with the 25mm F1.4, and even that wasn't fast enough for much of the lighting. Ultimately my OMD had a good old fashioned real world workout and overall I think it did pretty well. These are some of the shots I liked most, it's just a shame they don't include sound :-). If I had either the 75mm F1.8 or the 35-100mm F2.8 then things would have been a lot easier. I also wish you could assign ISO to one of the control dials, the ability to raise or lower the ISO using a dial in aperture priority would have been a big bonus. I don't like using auto ISO or shutter priority in these scenario's, too much variability in the right shutter speed/sensitivity for me. ISO on speed dial would have been great.

ISO 3200 25mm F1.4 at F1.4 and 1/640th

ISO 800 45mm F1.8 @ F1.8 and 1/125th

Kings Troop on Parade

ISO 1600 12-35mm @ F2.8 1/80th

The RAF Band

ISO 800 25mm @ F1.4 1/400th

The Royal Navy window ladder display.

The RAF Regiment carrying out some seriously complex drill movements.

ISO 1600 40-150mm @ F4.7 78mm 1/15th

And the band played on... a lone bootneck as the Royal Marine Band marches past...

ISO 1600 12-35mm at F2.8, 35mm, 1/50th

The last lament - a lone piper ends the show from up high. (That's not banding it's the roof).

-- hide signature --

Any problem on earth can be solved by a well aimed Pomegranate...
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

--
Any problem on earth can be solved by a well aimed Pomegranate...
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Sigma DP3 Merrill +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow