Quick question - MLU AND timer possible, D800?

Started Dec 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ian Stuart Forsyth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,698Gear list
Like?
Re: It's a pity it can't work
In reply to Lance B, Dec 10, 2012

Lance B wrote:

A Owens wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

A Owens wrote:

Cannot find a way to do this - is there a way I can use timer delay AND MLU at the same time on a D800? Thanks in advance...

No. The self time and the MLU shares the same dial.

Darn, I thought that may be the case. Thanks for the reply though.

I used to use Pentax DSLR's and they had a 2 second delay for the shutter after the mirror was locked up, a damned useful feature, IMO. So, you would set the shutter, the mirror would flip up and then 2 seconds later the shutter released. Great for tripod work as you didn't need to touch the camera again once you set the MLU feature.

One option is for you is to use the MLU feature and then trip the shutter after a few seconds, but of course this means that you are touching the camera which means it may affect any benefit of the MLU feature and therefore you may get blur.

The other option is to use a remote and then trip the MLU and then the shutter after a few seconds. This is how I operate it.

I really wish Nikon would introduce a firmware upgrade to allow for automatic shutter tripping after a few seconds when using MLU feature. Maybe even an adjustable timer of between 2-5 seconds.

-- hide signature --

I use this all the time with my D800 I set to MUP and set  A4 Exposure delay mode to 3secs and use it just as my K5. The only thing different is you have to hit the shutter twice, once to raise the mirror and the second to start the delay and 3 seconds later it takes the photo.

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The most important piece of equipment in photography is the lens cap, if used incorrectly all your photo will be under exposed.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow