Birds: 450d+55-250 (not so good)

Started Dec 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
AnthonyL
Senior MemberPosts: 1,722Gear list
Like?
Re: Some suggestions...
In reply to R2D2, Dec 9, 2012

R2D2 wrote:

Thanks for your input - I read many of your posts.

AnthonyL wrote:

All of the images are 100% crops. I don't resize.

You'll never get detailed images by cropping to 100%, especially at greater than base ISO. No current DSLR I've seen is capable of that. I wouldn't crop any further than 50% with the 450D. The best way to increase detail is to fill the frame more (ie get closer).

That sure has confused me.  Yes 100% crop - I crop in DPP and you see the resulting output.  I thought the idea was to avoid resizing ie inventing or losing pixels.

For the avoidance of doubt this is how I crop:

(though unusually I did a bit more under Irfanview).

I'm not sure what you mean by 50% crop, and I'm not sure how I would resize.

I would estimate I was 15 metres away.

You have to expect low image quality at that distance.

A wall stopped me from trying to get nearer.

A couple of the shots are probably through double glazing windows.

Ouch. That will degrade the image as well.

I'm not sure about the Swallow as occasionally I've been lucky enough to be able to have the bedroom window ajar.

The swallow was photographed perfectly. Great light, ideal settings, and perfect execution! Are you sure this is a 100% crop? (100% crop meaning that you cut a 940x627 pixel section out of the whole image, and then displayed it as such without resizing). This image is testament that the lens is indeed up to the task.

Yes - see above.

and maybe then I can try Live View but not many sit and pose for long.

I wouldn't even attempt CDAF. Your camera's PDAF is the ideal tool.

It was a suggestion by another poster but I don't think birds sit still long enough.

AnthonyL's gear list:AnthonyL's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow