Started Nov 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
40d_dane
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010
Like?
Re: Possible 7D mkII Spec.
In reply to hjulenissen, Dec 9, 2012

hjulenissen wrote:

40d_dane wrote:

Going from 18 MP to 25 MP really doesn't give you that much more detail especially as it would mean even softer images requiring more sharpening and NR in PP.

My 350D images (8MP) tend to be slightly softer than my 7D pictures (18MP) when printed sufficiently (equally) large, when focus etc is spot-on etc.

So I say your claim is bogous: increasing the amount of megapixels does not mean "softer images", nor the _need_ for more sharpening.

-h

Well, what I intended to say is that increased pixel count yield less sharp images on the *pixel* level. That said, yes a 7D picture has the potential of being sharper than a 350D picture when viewed at the same magnification. I know that my 7D does give me more detail and sharper pictures than my 40D. But at the *pixel* level, my 7D is *less* sharp than my 40D. Why do I care ? Because this shows that increasing the number of pixels is a game of diminishing returns. I don't think that this will change a bit if the MP count is increased from 18 MP to 24 MP. On the contrary. I don't hear anyone asking for a 36 MP APS-C camera. The real world difference between 18 MP and 24 MP isn't significant - especially when the pixels of a 24 MP sensor are bound to be less sharp than a 18 MP camera. I would much rather have a 18 MP camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow