Ubiquitous 'What DSLR should I buy?' question thread.

Started Dec 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rubyist
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Ubiquitous 'What DSLR should I buy?' question thread.
Dec 9, 2012

Hi all.

Apologies for asking what's probably the most commonly-asked question on these forums, but I've been weighing up and reading reviews and I'm not convinced that I'm going to make the right choice.

I've been taking digital photos for about 10 years and have learned a lot in that time, as my flickr stream will testify:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/molesworth2/

I've come the compact route via first ultra-cheap and blurry casual digital cameras and am now at what I think is the end of the compact fixed-lens line: the Powershot G12. I'm very happy indeed with it, and it's my only camera at the moment, bar a few snaps on the surprisingly good Samsung Galaxy SIII camera: sure, it's not the best, but it's always in your pocket, right?

Paying more and more money for slight improvements in sharpness in well-lit shooting scenarios is all very well if you have infinite funds but who does? But  main shortcoming of the G12 is, as far as I can see, its low-light performance. I'm looking to break into DSLR, and it's low-light performance that I'm looking for. My budget is about £700, including a kit lens that'll give me enough versatility to do pretty much whatever I want until I'm ready to splash on more fancy lenses. I'm not too worried about video.

I've looked at the Pentax K5, which looks very good indeed, and the K30. I'd limit my dilemma to these two, but I know that when I buy a DSLR I'm also buying into the system. On these considerations, I'd be looking at a Nikon D7000 or a Canon EOS 60/70D.

The Pentax wins it on spec alone, but I want something that's going to last me a few years as I progress from a DSLR n00b to a competent photographer.

So, any advice?

Thanks.

Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D7000 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow