NOT OK: R3000 second print (ABW) - lot of regular linear scratches... :(

Started Dec 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
NeroMetalliko
Regular MemberPosts: 220
Like?
UPDATE4! Revenge? + question regarding tray
In reply to jtoolman, Dec 9, 2012

So, here we are again, after a busy day the trend is going better, the current full list is the follwing:

All media settings and ICC profiles as per paper manufacturer instructions.

01 - HMuhle Photo Rag Baryta 315 (0.39mm) PK ___ F-tray COLOR @5760 0.3mm + "std" platgap, UniDir: GOOD (no strikes, no smear)

02 - HMuhle Photo Rag Pearl 320 (0.48mm) PK ___ F-tray ABW @5760 0.5mm + "std" platgap, UniDir: BAD (big strikes pattern, but no smear in the picture)

03 - ILF Gold Fibre Silk 310 (0.315mm) PK ___ F-tray COLOR @1440 0.3mm + "std" platgap, UniDir: BAD (strike and ink stain, but no smear in the picture)

04 - ILF Gold Fibre Silk 310 (0.315mm) PK ___ F-tray COLOR @5760 0.4mm + "wide" platgap, UniDir: GOOD (no strikes, no smear)

05 - HMuhle Photo Rag Pearl 320 (0.48mm) PK ___ F-tray ABW @5760 0.6mm + "wide" platgap, UniDir: BAD (no strikes pattern, but smear in the picture)

06 - HMuhle Photo Rag Pearl 320 (0.48mm) PK ___ F-tray COLOR @5760 0.6mm + "wide" platgap, UniDir: BAD (no strikes pattern, but big color smear in the picture)

07 - Harman Gloss Art Fibre WT 300 (0.44mm) PK ___ F-tray COLOR @1440 0.4mm + "std" platgap, UniDir: BAD (print aborted due to evident strikes noise)

08 - Harman Gloss Art Fibre WT 300 (0.44mm) PK ___ F-tray COLOR @1440 0.5mm + "wide" platgap, UniDir: MEDIUM/BAD (some strikes noise, but no evident strikes and no smear in the printed picture, one floating particle still caused a spot)

09 - HMuhle Photo Rag Pearl 320 (0.48mm) PK ___ S-tray COLOR @5760 0.5mm + "wide" platgap, UniDir: MEDIUM/BAD (some strikes noise occurred in the latest part of the print, no strikes pattern in the image and no color smear in the picture, but the printhead probably hit the last part of the paper leaving ink stains on the white border)

10 - EPSON Photo Glossy 190 (??mm) PK ___ S-tray COLOR @5760 0.3mm + "std" platgap, BiDir: GOOD (no strikes, no smear)

11 - HMuhle Fine Art Baryta 325 (0.41mm) PK ___ S-tray COLOR @5760 0.4mm + "std" platgap, BiDir: GOOD? (no strikes - maybe strikes noise occurred in the latest part of the print but not so sure, no smear)

12 - Canson Baryta Photographique 310 (0.31mm) PK ___ S-tray COLOR @1440 0.4mm + "std" platgap, BIiDir: GOOD (no strikes, no smear)

13 - Canson Platine Fibre Rag 310 (0.37mm) PK ___ S-tray COLOR @1440 0.4mm + "std" platgap, BIiDir: GOOD? (no strikes - maybe strikes noise occurred in the first part of the print but not so sure, no smear)

Switched to Matte Black.

14 - EPSON Photo Quality Inkjet (aka Presentation Matte) 190 (??mm) MK ___ S-tray COLOR @720 0.1mm + "std" platgap, BIiDir: GOOD (no strikes, no smear)

15 - Canson Rag Photographique 310 (0.46mm) MK ___ F-tray COLOR @1440 0.5mm + "std" platgap, BIiDir: GOOD (no strikes, no smear)

16 - HMuhle Photo Rag 308 (0.48mm) MK ___ F-tray COLOR @5760 0.5mm + "std" platgap, BiDir: GOOD? (no strikes - maybe strikes noise occurred in the central part of the print but not so sure, no smear)

17 - Canson Rag Photographique 310 (0.46mm) MK ___ F-tray ABW @1440 0.5mm + "std" platgap, BIiDir: GOOD (no strikes, no smear)

In short:

As you can see, today I made other 4 attempts using PK and 4 attemps using MK with different papers and using both the sheet tray (S-tray) and front tray (F-tray).

Please note: I have discovered that the F-tray is mandatory in order to print with Matte black using media as Velvet Fine Art (the Sheet option in the drivers settings is grayed out and not allowed). So I cannot skip the importance to have a fully functional Front manual tray.

I decided to avoid fo now the problematic curled Pearl paper in order to leave it under pressure for flattening for some time. In addition I will keep on hold some stiff alpha cellulose papers which gave me problems at first attempt with "std" platen gap like the Ilford and the Harman.

From what I have seen it is important to be able to succesfully print with the right thickness setting and "std" platen gap to get the best IQ.

In addition I have tried to engage the hig-speed mode (bi-directional print) in order to better understand their effect and because sometimes it is explicitly recommend like in the Canson papers settings (along with 1440 resolution) for example.

The results were quite good, all the prints seems to be not scratched and very sharp, with no noticeable blur and/or ink stains. Sporadically some minimal dust particles landed on the printed surface but was easy and without big consequences to blow it out, so probably this is to be considered normal.

It is confirmed that the alpha cellulose papers are less welcome here, 2 of the 3 times I have had the sensation to hear some light striking noises today, it was with fibre papers.

I'm really happy that my preferred Matte paper (Canson) was printed 2 of 2 times via the front feed tray without glitches.

In conclusion, my opinion now is that probably my printer is not fully broken, but not 100% perfect too, it is very "picky" regarding the paper planarity and their stiffness. Results may vary with front or sheet tray, but the front tray is mandatory for some matte media so I cannot disregard it. In addition I was never able to load the paper in the sheet tray as Joe suggested (sorry but the printer back is not so easily accessible in my current printer position, so I was not able to look inside in a good way in order to succesfully feed the paper as suggested), so I simply left the paper in the sheet tray and the printed feeded it, but it was not so "gentle" as the front tray...

The big question now is how much this "character" could be considered normal/acceptable inside the normal production variations and if my printer, once optimized the things, will allow me a decent reliability/repeatability in daily conditions.

So, what do you think? If I can avoid the hassle to return it this would be great, but I'm still puzzled a bit...

Please, let me know your opinion, many thanks in advance,

ciao

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow