is this nikon 24-70mm decentered/defective/just bad?

Started Dec 8, 2012 | Questions thread
R Vaquero
Contributing MemberPosts: 689
Like?
Re: is this nikon 24-70mm decentered/defective/just bad?
In reply to Jan3x5, Dec 9, 2012

Jan3x5 wrote:

This is ´╗┐exactly´╗┐ what I found when bought the lens. Very soft on short focusing distances and the longer FL and/or the shorter focusing distance the softer image. Tested another sample and it was the same. Played a lot with AF tuning and LensAlign, no improvement. Returned it for servicing to Nikon and they confirmed that my sample is just perfect and this is a feature, not an issue! Asked on forums (also here) and got answers as "this lens is not designed for such kind of photography" and similar - never seen sharp picture (except of dead center of frame) captured with this lens at conditions / settings you have used.

Maybe somebody has other findings, but I ended up completely disappointed, as I do not expect this kind of issue from such lens... So sold the lens, bought the 24-120/4VR instead and never looked back. And yes... 24-120/4VR is way much better in terms of IQ when focused on very short distances.

-- hide signature --

www.intopicture.com

Totally agree!

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow