Sensor dust - how is everyone dealing with it?

Started Dec 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
photogazer
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
Sensor dust - how is everyone dealing with it?
Dec 9, 2012

I went on a trip to Greece recently and upon coming back I noticed a speck on every single one of my photos :(. Needless to say it meant hours of photo editing to remove it on my 1000+ pictures. Today I finally try to figure out the issue. It turns out my UV filter and my kit lens were both clean, but there was a tiny white speck on my sensor. After blowing it away, the pictures are now fine.

For those who are interested, here is a before and after:

Before sensor cleaning. Note the speck in the top right hand area.

After sensor cleaning

I am just curious how Nex owners who use the kit lens are dealing with this. It is my only lens at the moment (still trying to decide which prime to get, and this dust problem is making me think twice about changing lens in the middle of a trip), so the dust went in without me changing lens. Is this a common occurrence with this setup? How often do you check the sensor? When on a trip without a PC monitor, how do you even detect such an issue? I never noticed the speck until I upgraded to an IPS monitor recently - it was barely noticeable on my old 19-inch TN LCD, so on the camera it is almost impossible to see.

-- hide signature --

Proud owner of Canon S30, S45, A710, Fuji F31fd, Sony NEX 5n

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow