Senior MemberPosts: 4,067
Like?
Re: Get a Bigma
In reply to Knute, Dec 9, 2012

Knute wrote:

nfpotter wrote:

Knute wrote:

ozziwoz wrote:

Thanks. I have read the birding question and these are the two options that were recommended. The Nikkor 80-400mm does get a brief mention but only that there may be a new version coming. Has this happened and what will the advantage be?

When it comes out the new 80-400 will likely have VRIII, focus faster with AFS and might be sharper than the current lens, when it comes out.

People have been asking/begging/predicting a new 80-400 from Nikon for years with absolutely no word from Nikon. I'm sure it will happen eventually, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

For the safari I would go with the Sigma 150-500 or 50-500, both focus fast and are capable of very nice bird in flight shots. Sure the Nikon 500mm f/4 is better, it also costs 8x as much.

Here we go.

Um, neither "focus fast". Just a little FYI. They're not the slowest out there but "fast" is a stretch.

Here we go what? So exactly how fast is fast in your opinion? Is there some minimum lock on time that meets your criteria? Or is it just your gut feeling? Are they as fast as a 300 F/2.8, no but that doesn't mean they're slow. They're more than fast enough to track a bird in flight, even with an old D80, if you can't do it maybe the problem is with your camera or your copy of the lens.

Fast enough on a D300s to catch a dragonfly in flight, not hovering. Most would consider that fast, just a little FYI.

ISO: 220
Exposure: 1/640 sec
Aperture: 6.3
Focal Length: 500mm

Um, I own a Bigma.  Have you looked at my gallery?  Regardless, neither is a fast focusing lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow