In what order do you adjust white balance, exposure control, focus, ISO, f-stop, shutter, etc.?

Started Dec 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
nelsonal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,460Gear list
Like?
Re: In what order do you adjust white balance, exposure control, focus, ISO, f-stop, shutter, etc.?
In reply to river251, Dec 9, 2012

I started with film, and generally use fairly old cameras (currently a 1Dmk II).  So I tend to adjust ISO earliest, and try not to adjust it except as a last resort.  So ISO is technically first (normally before I get where ever I wanted to photograph).  White balance (if it's not going to be a custom shot one) is also frequently set for the expected lighting or just left at daylight to be later adjusted (if I know it will be mixed or want something "neutral" to have other lighting affect the image, like at golden hour).  I tend to leave the default other jpg settings as a sort of worst case scenario to help capture a better raw so the contrast and other things are much higher than the final image will be).  When I get to shooting, f-stop is adjusted for the image I want, normally each image.  Shutter speed is essentially set at the same time since ISO was already fixed.  Last thing is exposure control (which is basically a shutter speed adjustment).  This is usually set after the camera is up to my eye and I notice an image that's very likely to bias the meter either mentally (because I'm using a manual lens) or explicitly with the wheel if I'm using a Canon EF lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow