Lens with "wow" effect !! :-))

Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
barriejb
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
The Wrong Approach and Wide Angles
In reply to Philippe R, Dec 9, 2012

Many years ago, at the time of the first US Gulf war, I saw a photo on the cover of Time Magazine (or maybe it was Newsweek). It was of a young widow at the funeral of her dead (marine?) husband. She had a look of utter resolve and determination on her face as her hands rested on her knees clutching the hands of her two young children. Although I am not an American, this image has seared itself into a little corner of my brain where it replays quite frequently like I am holding that magazine in front of me.

The lens the photographer used is irrelevant because it is not the lens that made this a wow image, as most photographers here know very well.

But, to try to give some idea of what lens might get an image that sells (and therefore presumably has something of a wow factor in it), take a look at the focal lengths most used at Reuters. This is not an accident:

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/12/02/the-most-popular-cameras-and-settings-for-reuters-best-photos-of-the-year-2012/

-- hide signature --

Barrie

barriejb's gear list:barriejb's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow