A few good primes or constant-aperture zooms... your thoughts/experiences

Started Dec 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
joger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,784Gear list
Like?
Re: A few good primes or constant-aperture zooms... your thoughts/experiences
In reply to whyamihere, Dec 9, 2012

whyamihere wrote:

. . . I don't have a lot of money to spend, and I'd likely go for a 6D or a 5D Mark II. I can't imagine I'd have much use for the improved AF system of the Mark III even if I did splurge. Though I have free range across the frame for focusing with a Micro Four Thirds camera, I still use a center focal point most frequently. Call me weird, but it works for me.

Good choice to skip the 5D III - since it mainly brings some extra boost in AF but not extra image quality in my tests.

On a budget the 5D II is a very good choice - maybe a better one then the 6D if you don't need WiFi and GPS.

On the lenses it gets much harder to stay within a tight budget since most of the really good lenses are a kind of expensive.

Let me try to list a few (IMHO) extremely good and relatively affordable lenses - you might choose the suitable focal lengths for your style

• TS-E 17 f/4.0 L - extremely sharp and maybe the best wide angle lens on this planet - no AF though
  • STM 40 f/2.8 - extremely sharp at f/4.0 and good and quick AF on a budget - nice little candid lens
  • EF 85 f/1.8 - very nice bokeh and small price - a no-brainer if you have to work on a budget
  • EF 135 f/2.0 L - for me the "killer" lens in the Canon program - shallow DOF on a budget and extremely sharp - don't show this lens to others - they might call you a hipster
  • EF 70-200 f/4.0 l IS USM - good all-round lens and maybe the best price / value buy at Canon - also a no-brainer to get this lens - on FF f/4.0 is really good enough and the lens performs extremely well wide open
-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow