A few good primes or constant-aperture zooms... your thoughts/experiences

Started Dec 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
joger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,422Gear list
Like?
Re: A few good primes or constant-aperture zooms... your thoughts/experiences
In reply to whyamihere, Dec 9, 2012

whyamihere wrote:

. . . I don't have a lot of money to spend, and I'd likely go for a 6D or a 5D Mark II. I can't imagine I'd have much use for the improved AF system of the Mark III even if I did splurge. Though I have free range across the frame for focusing with a Micro Four Thirds camera, I still use a center focal point most frequently. Call me weird, but it works for me.

Good choice to skip the 5D III - since it mainly brings some extra boost in AF but not extra image quality in my tests.

On a budget the 5D II is a very good choice - maybe a better one then the 6D if you don't need WiFi and GPS.

On the lenses it gets much harder to stay within a tight budget since most of the really good lenses are a kind of expensive.

Let me try to list a few (IMHO) extremely good and relatively affordable lenses - you might choose the suitable focal lengths for your style

• TS-E 17 f/4.0 L - extremely sharp and maybe the best wide angle lens on this planet - no AF though
  • STM 40 f/2.8 - extremely sharp at f/4.0 and good and quick AF on a budget - nice little candid lens
  • EF 85 f/1.8 - very nice bokeh and small price - a no-brainer if you have to work on a budget
  • EF 135 f/2.0 L - for me the "killer" lens in the Canon program - shallow DOF on a budget and extremely sharp - don't show this lens to others - they might call you a hipster
  • EF 70-200 f/4.0 l IS USM - good all-round lens and maybe the best price / value buy at Canon - also a no-brainer to get this lens - on FF f/4.0 is really good enough and the lens performs extremely well wide open
If you can spend a bit more a 300 f/2.8 might be a wise decision - but as you are on a tight budget the above mentioned lenses give you an extremely wide range of focal lengths and probably the best possible bokeh and image quality. 
The rest is up to you and your skill level - I personally don't like the 24-70 zoom range and I highly dislike the price of the II version - I'd rather spend the money for a 35 f/1.4 - but that 's maybe just me
just my 2 CT
-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow