NEX-6 next to NEX-7

Started Dec 6, 2012 | Questions thread
Bart Hickman
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,223Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX-6 next to NEX-7
In reply to Clayton1985, Dec 9, 2012

Clayton1985 wrote:

Yes, you have to have decent light but I would say that the PDAF system on the V1 is much better than the NEX 6.

I agree with this statement.  From what I've seen, I'd wager the V1 AF is faster than most DSLR's as well.

As far as the adapter, the V1 is 2.7x so the FT1 adapter with a 200mm lens gives you 540mm. The SLT adapter with a 200mm lens will give you 300mm - a big difference.

You can only push those tele-zoom lenses so far.  I've seen a number of V1 shots done with SLR Nikkor glass and while that glass is pretty good, the V1 pixel density is beyond the useful resolution of the glass in the examples I've seen (which were always a perched bird.)  The other problem was a relative lack of isolation from the background (perched birds tend to have a lot of branches not that far behind them.)  Consequently, you can crop the NEX7 down to the 2.7x level and you'll have 7M which, more often than not, will give a final print equal to what you'd have gotten from the V1 ignoring the fact that the NEX7 would have access to SLR level PDAF.

Even with only the 30-110 you get 300mm reach with a much smaller lens. Currently the camera and two lens kit is around $450 -- really hard to beat for what you get -- especially if you use the system primarily for tele.

The V1 isn't a fit for me because I don't really need the long reach or PDAF that much but wide angle is important to me and the V1 doesn't really have any wide angle options.

Same here.  I was eyeballing the V1 myself for a while.  The AF is peerless IMO plus it has the nice 1.5 aspect ratio.  But the bad controls and lack of wide angle couldn't compensate for me.

Bart

-- hide signature --
 Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow