Like?
Re: 85 1.4 with D7000, a sample wide open
In reply to pavi1, Dec 9, 2012

pavi1 wrote:

ralittle2 wrote:

river251 wrote:

mironv wrote:

-- hide signature --

Person standing still posing for you and you shutting at 1/500 sec at ISO1600 at 85mm well no wonder it looks so so. Lower ISO to 200 get a f stop at f4 from that distance and shutter speed at 1/125 and you will have far better picture than that.
Mironv
http://mironv.smugmug.com/

Mironv, is there a way a beginner like me could understand how to choose the ISO, f stop, and shutter speed you recommend? You clearly understand why these would make for a better picture but I don't understand why, except that lower ISO makes less noise.

Thanks

Jim

I too found the combination kind of strange in the photo. Why go to 1/500th? With such a fast lens, you could have lowered the ISO dramatically resulting in less noise.

The OP has been around for a few years. Probably knows about ISO, aperture, shutter speed. Probably took lots of pictures of the subject. Probably posted this one because he liked it. Probably had set the camera to 1600 while shooting at a higher f stop and did not change it when he opened f stop. Only a great photographer will have perfect shutter, f stop and ISO on every picture taken. The rest of us will just have to settle for less than perfection.

To Jim: the best way to understand ISO, f stop and shutter speed is to get a subject and photograph the subject at all f stops, shutter speeds and ISO. In the end you will learn that f stop controls depth of field, shutter speed freezes action and hand shake and ISO is used to make possible the f stop and shutter speed you desire to use.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

Thank you!

Jim

-- hide signature --

You're as happy as you think you are.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow