A few good primes or constant-aperture zooms... your thoughts/experiences

Started Dec 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
whyamihere
Forum MemberPosts: 75Gear list
Like?
Re: A few good primes or constant-aperture zooms... your thoughts/experiences
In reply to MASTERPPA, Dec 9, 2012

MASTERPPA wrote:

Simple, if you do not need faster then 2.8 or F4, get a 24-70 2.8 or 24-105 F4.

If you need faster then a get primes.. I will say this, if you can get your shot at 2.8, get the 24-70 2.8v2, it is 90-95% as sharp as most primes and the zoom will save you in a few shots..

If you do more portraits, primes are fine...

Masterppa, therein lies the rub...

Based on my experiences with the Micro Four Thirds system, a 14mm f/2.5 (28mm equivalent) in low light indoors situations still requires a rather slow shutter speed to get a good shot. In my apartment just now, I flipped my camera into Aperture Priority, aimed it at my cat sitting on the couch in somewhat low but decent artificial light, and it suggested a shutter speed of 1/20 second. (My experiences in manual mode suggest this is fairly accurate.) In situations with a tripod, I'm okay with that so long as nothing moves. Handheld, not so much, and there may be times where a tripod just doesn't work (standing in a corner, for example). I'd imagine things will be better with the larger surface area of a full frame sensor, but I'd like to give the camera its best opportunity to get a shot in poor light.

If you have experienced a full frame camera with a constant aperture lens in dim indoor lighting and been happy with the results, please let me know. If you have an example, that would be helpful.

Thanks!

whyamihere's gear list:whyamihere's gear list
Nikon D7000 NEX5R Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow