A few good primes or constant-aperture zooms... your thoughts/experiences

Started Dec 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
whyamihere
Forum MemberPosts: 72Gear list
Like?
Re: A few good primes or constant-aperture zooms... your thoughts/experiences
In reply to rebel99, Dec 9, 2012

rebel99 wrote:

it seems like you are saying you are not a pro and then you are hang up on prime and fast F stops, and it seems like you have the answer for most of your questions! i am not sure what kind of budget you have for photog equipment but if it was me, i'd start with 5D3 (or even with a 6D), the new 24-70mm f2.8 mkII, and a 70-200mm f4IS and a good solid tri-pod, go out and start shooting and less talk! those 2 teles will give you a good indication of what focal range you are using the most and then over time you may want to invest in a nice prime in the future. but then again, that is what i'd do, your mileage me differ

Thanks for your reply, rebel99. As already mentioned, no, I'm not a pro, but I do have a Panasonic GX1 and a pair of zooms that cover 24-400mm effectively. I also have a prime for that camera, and I have already invested in a solid tripod. I shoot as frequently as my spare time allows, but thank you for the encouragement!

I don't have a lot of money to spend, and I'd likely go for a 6D or a 5D Mark II. I can't imagine I'd have much use for the improved AF system of the Mark III even if I did splurge. Though I have free range across the frame for focusing with a Micro Four Thirds camera, I still use a center focal point most frequently. Call me weird, but it works for me.

I don't see myself going for a 70-200mm lens because I don't think I'll be that far away from my subjects to require the longer end of the zoom. I was thinking if I were buying zooms, I would invest in one that does wide angles (probably 17-40mm f/4) for cityscapes, and one that does wide through medium telephoto (24-70mm f/2.8 or f/4 L or a 3rd party, or the 24-105mm f/4) for indoors.

I probably will wind up with a 50mm one way or another.

Thanks again!

whyamihere's gear list:whyamihere's gear list
Nikon D7000 NEX5R Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow