Started Dec 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Genes Pentax
Contributing MemberPosts: 998
Like?
Softbox for Flash / Speedlight
Dec 9, 2012

I'm looking to get a softbox for use with my portable flash units.

Does anyone have experience with SMDV Diffuser-50 or Diffuser-60 ?

http://www.amazon.com/Speedbox-Diffuser-50-Professional-Hexagonal-Speedlight/dp/B00AA5AWDU/ref=?ie=UTF8&m=A22WDDVC731IX

http://www.amazon.com/Speedbox-Diffuser-60-Professional-Hexagonal-Speedlight/dp/B00AA5LPT0/ref=?ie=UTF8&m=A22WDDVC731IX

I'm looking for something that's easily portable, but also want something that will provide a good quality light. I heard that octogonal shaped soft box provides better lighting than square ones. Also, I understand that the size of the softbox is important in that bigger box gives softer light.

It looks like the SMDV units are hexagon shape and seems to be a compromise between the octogon and square shaped softboxes. I'm wondering how much difference that makes.

Also, there's two different sizes for the hexagon shaped softboxes. Wondering how much difference that makes. 50cm (21") vs 60cm (23") size. Or for that matter 23" vs 30".

Here are some that I'm considering. The SMDV softboxes are very interesting in that they seem to be quite taut (compared to the square ones), so may be better in outdoor setting with breezy outdoor settings. Also, setting them up seems to be easy and quick.

I'm also considering these two.

24" square softbox

Octogon shaped 30" softbox

Comparing them to these two below.

Any ideas? If someone actually has photographs comparing different size softboxes and different shape softboxes, that'd be great!

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Gene

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow