Olympus EPL2 noise superior to EP3 and OM-D?

Started Dec 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
AngelicBeaver
Contributing MemberPosts: 658Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus EPL2 noise superior to EP3 and OM-D?
In reply to CharlesB58, Dec 9, 2012

The High ISO performance of the OMD is better than the EPL2.  It's the way they handle the noise present that I like better (from what I saw) on the EPL2.  I was looking at the Noise and Noise reduction feature on the review page, where you can compare different cameras with different noise reduction settings.  At noise reduction set to off, the EPL2 is incredibly grainy at ISO6400, but it shows zero smearing.  At ISO6400, with NR set to off on the OMD, there is considerably less grain, but there is evidence of smearing.  The EP3 looks about the same as the EPL2, but with some smearing.

I like no smearing.  And again, I didn't really see evidence of chroma noise either.  Ultimately, if they were the same price, I'd go for the OMD, or EM5, or whatever it's called.  The noise reminds me of my Canon, which isn't too bad.  I just really like that the EPL2 really does seem to turn off the noise reduction completely, where most cameras never really turn it off and try to smooth it out just a little bit (or a lotta bit, in Panasonic's case).

-- hide signature --

I have no signature.

AngelicBeaver's gear list:AngelicBeaver's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow