A few good primes or constant-aperture zooms... your thoughts/experiences

Started Dec 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
whyamihere
Forum MemberPosts: 67Gear list
Like?
Re: A few good primes or constant-aperture zooms... your thoughts/experiences
In reply to MAC, Dec 9, 2012

MAC wrote:

pj shooting, where people are moving, zooms rule, but fast primes can work on multiple bodies.

if photog can move their feet and take the time then primes

I find that zooms on FF don't have much over zooms on crop.

The primes though sing on FF.

so 6d + 35 f2IS + 50 f1.4 + 100L would be a good start for FF.

but a second camera T4i + 15-85 IS can handle a bunch of flexible shooting

MAC: Thank you for your response and suggestions. I do have a Panasonic GX1 with a pair of zooms that I will continue to hold on to, as they span an effective 24-400mm range and produce decent-enough results with good light. (At one point I did some portraits with the 45-200mm Panasonic at 45mm f/4 - 90mm effective - and the subject sharpness and background blur were better than I thought anyone should expect out of a Micro Four Thirds camera and a relatively cheap tele zoom lens.) I figured at the very least I'd be getting a nifty fifty, something wide for cityscapes, and short telephoto for taking indoor 'people pictures' that allowed for some physical distance between me and a subject.

Thanks again!

whyamihere's gear list:whyamihere's gear list
Nikon D7000 NEX5R Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow