Nikon 14-24 refresh?

Started Nov 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,265Gear list
Like?
The hair shirt theory
In reply to fft81, Dec 9, 2012

fft81 wrote:

I am by no means a good photographer. At best, I am the: "Uncle Bob with the DSLR". But i feel more creative with a 50mm MF lens on my d800 than with any one of the trinity zooms on it. To me, it feels like the zoom feature just gets in the way; it distracts me from looking closer at the composition.

You feel more creative by being limited; I don't quite feel the same way but I do often go out with just a normal prime and work on composition. I find this quite instructive and valuable, but the actual photos I get from this exercise are generally unspectacular. I do a lot better with zooms because I can use the field of view I want from the location I want to shot; it's much easier to match my visualization of a shot.

So I look at shooting with primes as an exercise in self-mortification, similar to wearing a hair shirt.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow