purchase THE Canon 60D

Started Dec 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
sleibson
Regular MemberPosts: 244
Like?
Re: purchase THE Canon 60D
In reply to bluemeanie54, Dec 9, 2012

The 60D user manual will tell you all you need to know, but in a very stilted way that has little to do with picture-taking.The Canon videos already recommended are also very good, especially if you prefer to learn that way. If you prefer to read (some of us still do), I recommend spending $15 on a 60D Magic Lantern guide. It will not tell you anything that's not in the manual (or not much anyway), but it is intended to be read as an actual book rather than used as a reference guide. You can easily order it from Amazon.

I also recommend taking a day to just walk about and shoot with the camera. That's the only way to get used to the controls, see how you want to set up the camera, experiment, and fiddle. However, reading the book first and watching the videos will give you an idea of what's possible.

In my opinion, you can shoot good photos with the 60D almost immediately if you're an experienced shooter but learning everything that the camera ("normal" photos, macro shots, flash photography, and video for example) can do, that will take months if not years. It's a very complex piece of imaging machinery.

-- hide signature --

Steve Leibson
www.sleibson.com
Shooting with Canons for 40 years

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow