Started Dec 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John Carson
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,077Gear list
Like?
XE1 Image Softness Reconsidered
Dec 9, 2012

I have taken crops from JPEG sample shots on Imaging Resource at ISO 3200, featuring the OMD and the XE1. The first shown below is the shots without adjustment. The OMD is on the left and the XE1 on the right. View the crops at original size and it is clear that the XE1 is softer.

Next I applied sharpening to the XE1 image. I used an unsharp mask with an amount of 90%, radius of 2.5, and threshold of 2. I also boosted saturation slightly (with the slider at 5). This is much more sharpening than I would normally consider, but the sharpening halos were only modest, roughly the same to my eyes as those on the OMD image by default.

At the end of it all, we have two very similar images. My tentative conclusion is that the apparent softness of the XE1 images may be largely a matter of a much lower default level of sharpening.

-- hide signature --

john carson

John Carson's gear list:John Carson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow