Apologies - another 'help me make a decision' thread...

Started Dec 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,143Gear list
Like?
Re: Apologies - another 'help me make a decision' thread...
In reply to Al Downie, Dec 9, 2012

Al Downie wrote:

I have until Monday to decide whether I should:

- Keep my (less than 14 days old) X-Pro1 and 35mm f1.4, accept its foibles and persevere, and hope that future firmware upgrades will fix remaining issues;

- Return the body for a refund (but keep the lens), then order the X-E1 + 18-55mm zoom for the same price;

- Return the body for a refund, sell the lens, and settle for my existing X100 which I love to bits, and £1100 in my pocket. (complication - the £1100 will almost certainly be spent on my wedding next year, and after that I reckon it'll be a VERY long time before I'd be able to spend this kind of cash on a camera again!)

I bought the X100 a couple of months ago, and fell in love with it straight away. I loved the aperture ring, the shutter speed dial, and the quality of the image especially in low light just knocked my socks off - it's a dream for available light photographers, and it made me feel like a film photographer again. After a while I started wondering if I should make the full commitment and buy an X-Pro1 or X-E1 with the standard lens, and perhaps save for future primes. The more I read about them, the more I wanted one, and eventually I got to handle the X-Pro1 and the X-E1 side by side, and decided to rule out the X-E1 mostly because it just felt cheaper, and partly because I have no interest in flash.

So I got the X-Pro1 and the 35mm, and was immediately a bit deflated because it just wasn't as razor-sharp as I was expecting. I experimented with many subjects, shutter speeds and apertures, and have eventually found that there are three entirely different methods of 'autofocus' and they all behave differently and produce different results, and seem to be appropriate for different shooting situations. That's a real turn-off for me - for the price of the X-Pro1, I want absolute confidence that the buttons will do exactly what they're supposed to do. I know there's not much work involved in switching to manual, pressing the AF-L button and the magnification button, focussing, then locking exposure and re-composing, but jeez, why doesn't the 'normal' autofocus method work??? Maybe I have a duff camera, maybe I have a duff lens, maybe it's a firmware problem, but I'm definitely not impressed with the normal autofocus, and I have no confidence or love for the camera because of it. Shame, because I really REALLY wanted this to be an insanely great camera.

So I guess my dilemma is this: if the X-Pro1 has lost its magic appeal for me, should I swap it for the X-E1 (with a free zoom lens in the bargain)? Or should I abandon ship. I tend to use EVF for most of my shooting, because I really like the accurate framing and the live display of exposure, so loss of the OVF wouldn't be a killer for me.

If any of you have any advice or recommendations, I'd be very grateful to hear them!

Many thanks in advance,

Al

Could it be the lens?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow