Lens with "wow" effect !! :-))

Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Alastair Norcross
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,938Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens with "wow" effect !! :-))
In reply to Philippe R, Dec 8, 2012

All my lenses make me say "wow!" sometimes. The ones that do it most often are the 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, and the 35L. The 70-200 is an amazing lens for sports and wildlife (often with a converter). Combined with the 7D it focuses lightning fast and very accurately:

The 35L is incredible for low light. It is sharp, even wide open, and has a great background blur:

Wide open at F1.4

Much as I love my 35L, I am seriously tempted by the new 35 F2 IS, if it's just as sharp. I think 4 stops of IS will more than compensate for losing 1 stop of light, and it's lighter and cheaper.

I've just got the 100 macro IS, and a couple of test shots have made me say "wow!", not because they are great shots, but because of how slow the IS lets me take them. This is a non-macro shot handheld at 1/13. That's 1/13 of a second on a crop camera, giving a field of view equivalent of 160mm on full frame!

And here's a macro, close to 1:1, handheld at 1/40, 100% crop:

Lincoln's eye on a $5 bill--pretty small

I think the 100L will replace my 85 F1.8 as an indoor tight portrait lens.

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD450 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Canon PowerShot S45 Pentax Optio W60 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow