fft81
Contributing MemberPosts: 896
Like?
Re: "Zooms impair creativity"... explain opinion please
In reply to John M Roberts, Dec 8, 2012

John M Roberts wrote:

ponderosabob wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

My recommendation to them would be to redesign the 14mm f2.8 and 20mm f2.8 in MF editions with real DOF scales on them and infinity lock, apply nano to reduce flare further (it's miles better that the stupid zoom anyway)

You've got to be kidding! The 14 is junk!

Zooms are way overrated, and overused, and impair creativity and skill. (my opinion),

Your credibility slipped a fair amount in my view after reading that assertion. Most of my 40 plus years involved primes with MF and LF. Once Canon offered their 24-35 and 80-200 L's my 35mm format primes sat though I did little shooting in that format. Now that DSLR's have improved tremendously quality can be had with zooms to compete with some MF film primes.

My transition into digital came late, first a Rebel but more seriously a D700 and with that I picked up the trio zooms and one prime, Sigma 150 macro. Zooms have benefited my creative potential in very convenient ways. They provide me greater room for composition and with spontaneity allowing me to catch brief moments of favored light. They offer the ability of quick decisions with a handful of FL's held in one hand.

So how on earth do you perceive that zooms hinder creativity?

However, they do have their place.

Focus plane plays a big part in performance that is not reflected in the mainstream lens tests and MTF's. Shoot it yourself. There are many fine lenses that are prematurely dismissed offhand, that just might be the gem you are looking for.

Discover the intangibles!

I am by no means a good photographer. At best, I am the: "Uncle Bob with the DSLR". But i feel more creative with a 50mm MF lens on my d800 than with any one of the trinity zooms on it. To me, it feels like the zoom feature just gets in the way; it distracts me from looking closer at the composition.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow