Which lens for pics of my children : Nikon 50mm f1.8g or 35mm f1.8g DX or something else?

Started Dec 8, 2012 | Questions thread
MrSkelter
Contributing MemberPosts: 633
Like?
Re: Which lens for pics of my children : Nikon 50mm f1.8g or 35mm f1.8g DX or something else?
In reply to newbie122012, Dec 8, 2012

I have a child and find that you get better shots the further you are away. It's not about the distortion or the bokeh, it's simply easier to capture spontaneity.

My preferred lens is the 200mm f2 VRII, but that's too long for use indoors. I find the 85mm is perfect. Both 1.4 and 1.8 are fast. I have the 1.4.

The approach is the opposite of what most people do and better for it. You hang out away from the action and let it happen. You can then shoot discretely and you gain all the benefits of a portrait lens. With kids the backgrounds are often unappealing. Being able to blow it out is really useful.

I'd also say with kids it's very hard to catch small children with any reliability unless you crop. They move to fast. If you frame them looser than you would an adult you give yourself a chance to edit great photos out of the chaos. You'll lose a lot if you send too much time worrying about framing and straight lines.

If you want to use a wider lens I'd recommend using a program like DXO to remove the distortion in post. It can't improve your separation but it will prevent people from looking funny.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow