Panny G5, Action At The Superbikes (images)

Started Dec 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shotted
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411
Like?
Panny G5, Action At The Superbikes (images)
Dec 8, 2012

I took my wife's G5, a little camera I like very much, to the Superbikes and others, at Hampton Downs in NZ yesterday. I was curious to see how it would go. I also took shots with my Canon 1DIII which I usually use, and my 400mm F5.6L lens. With an adapter I used the same lens on both cameras. The lens was no trouble at all on the G5 which has a very comfortable and safe body for this sort of thing. I was using a monopod mounted on the lens.

The G5 worked surprisingly well, using MF, prefocused on a point. The sun was bright and using smallish apertures it was not too difficult. I had to turn off the electronic shutter which is a beautiful thing, because it made verticals into angles, that setting being somehow a little slower than the normal shutter.

The last two shots are using the 1DIII for comparison, and there is no doubt the IQ is better, but the Panny images are very acceptable, and with more practice would be better. I tried it on the very fast straight (last image with the Canon), and that was almost impossible to frame with the G5, let alone capture. Still, I enjoyed the experiment, even got a couple of videos which worked, and will try again.

Cheers,

Don

STUFFUP posting images, see next post. Click for larger display.

Canon EOS-1D Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow