Started Dec 7, 2012 | Questions thread
Leonard Migliore
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,459Gear list
Like?
The only advice that counts is your own
In reply to newbie122012, Dec 8, 2012

newbie122012 wrote:

BobSC wrote:

Since you have the 18-55 lens -- set it at 35 and spend a day taking photos at only 35. Then set it at 50 and spend a day at 50. For me, 35 is boring and 50 is interesting. For many people 50 is limiting. It doesn't matter what I think or what those other people think, it only matters what you think.

Bokeh is complicated. You can search the Nikon SLR lens forum for example images of both lenses and see what appeals to you from what is possible with these two lenses.

Thank you Bob. This is exactly what I am going to do. I spent the morning taking pics at the two focal lenghts and I am now definately leaning towards the 50mm. For close up head and shoulder pics the 35mm requires that I am very close to the subject. The 50mm feels right. Not too close, yet still close enough that you feel like you are part of the moment.

Bob's suggestion makes perfect sense. You have to find out what you're comfortable with, not what other people are comfortable with. Then you can take your own advice about what lens to get, as you have done.

The good news is that both the 35mm and 50mm Nikkors are spectacularly sharp lenses so you don't need to base your selection on optical quality.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow