Started Dec 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tangram
Regular MemberPosts: 104Gear list
Like?
Christmas South Africa Trip - Final Gear Check - Comments Please
Dec 8, 2012

My family is spending 3 weeks in South Africa over Christmas. Week 1 wil be spent in the Drakensberg Mountains, Week 2 is on the beach in Durban and Week 3 will be at two separate game reserves in and around Kruger National Park where we will be traveling around in open land cruisers.

I am fortunate to have two of my family "spreading the load". Here is what I am planning on bringing:

Canon G11

Canon 7D

Canon 20D

Canon T3I

2 batteries per camera except G11 (1) and chargers

4 16Gb CF cards

2 8 Gb CF cards

5 16Gb SD cards

Card reader for CF and SD

Rode Videomic Pro shotgun microphone for T3i

iDC Optical Viewfinder for T3i

Canon 10-22 mm F3.5-F4.5

Canon 50 mm F1.8

Canon 85 mm F1.8

Canon 24-105 mm F4

Canon 70-200 mm F4 non-IS

Canon 100-400 mm F4.5-F5.6

Kenko 1.4X teleconverter

2 pair 8X42 binoculars

Macbook Pro

2Tb Western Digital external hard disk with hard protective case.

Manfrotto monopod

2 beanbags (empty, will fill on arrival)

small tabletop tripod

Lens cleaning equipment

Various LowePro backpacks for transporting gear on plane and when hiking/safari

Various polarizing filters and lens hoods

So, a long list but I am not taking a larger tripod, flash, macro lens, sensor cleaner. We will be over in their summer which is the rainy season so I don't anticipate dust will be much of a concern. The idea when on safari is that I will use the 100-400 (with/without 1.4X tele) on the 7D with/without the monopod, my wife will use the 7D with the 85 (low light), 24-105 (for taking people photos or 70-200 (for closer animal shots) and my son will share lenses with my wife but will mostly document our trip with video (50 would be used for video as well).

The 10-22 is a new addition and I will use this for landscapes and when we are in the mountains. I don't plan on doing any editing on the trip except to discard the obvious duds at the end of each day. We will download our CF cards onto the laptop and back up to the portable hard disk.

Note that I am not overly concerned with theft for a couple of reasons.

Any thoughts on other items I should bring along or items that seem redundant would be appreciated. I am nothing more than a hobbyist who has collected a bit of gear over the years; hoping to put together a nice photo book as a keepsake and maybe enlarge a few of the really nice keepers.

tangram's gear list:tangram's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +7 more
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Canon EOS 7D Canon PowerShot G11 Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow