Help me decide:Sony RX1 or Olympus EM5, grip &Pany 12-35mm 2.8 Lens

Started Dec 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
viztyger
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,261Gear list
Like?
RX1 vs OM-D E-M5: Depends What you Intend to Shoot
In reply to sean lancaster, Dec 8, 2012

Like others have pointed out, it's really a question of what you want to shoot. For example, when shooting at night, it makes a big difference if you want to freeze movement or are only capturing static subjects. For the latter, the OM-D's efficient stabilization will compensate for the RX1's better performance at high sensitivities, especially when the Olympus camera is used with a fast lens like the Pana-Leica 25/1.4. Forget the F2.8 zoom in this case; from my experience, F2.8 isn't fast enough for low light shooting on a Micro Four Thirds sensor.

The OM-D probably also has the edge in low light AF performance. But then again, that's irrelevant if you don't normally shoot in low light.

Personally, I've opted for the RX1. I'm very comfortable shooting with only one focal length - especially if the focal length is around 35mm. I'm not willing to carry a lot or heavy gear, but want the best possible image quality. I shoot a mix of moving and static subjects, also in low light, so a camera that performs well at higher sensitivities gives me more options. Occasionally I also take some ultra wide photos. For that I already have an old GF2 and a Lumix 7-14/4.0. Still, I expect to take the bulk of my photos with the RX1. When it finally gets here...

-- hide signature --
 viztyger's gear list:viztyger's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow