ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ptit-lolo
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Bad corner sharpness on tamron 17-50
Dec 8, 2012

Hi everyone

I just bought a k-30 and I had that strange idea of not buying the kit lens but going straight for a better zoom so I took the tamron 17-50. It really wasn't a matter of cost but rather a matter of not wasting yet another kit lens (I have 2 other 4/3 DSLR with kit lenses I almost never used, I didn't want to waste another one)

So I only have the K-30 and the tamron 17-50.

Now...the big question to me is that when I compare pictures of this duo with my older Olympus E-450 mounted with a Olympus Zuiko  14-54mm F2.8-3.5.....The smaller and modest E-450 is infinitly better with regards to corner sharpness. I get significantly more sharpness in the corners at 2.8 on the Olympus than at F6.3 on the Pentax, the Pentax only starts to match the Olympus at F8.

At the center the result is the same. In term of noise, the pentax is miles ahead of course... but for sharpness in the corners, I just feel like I made a step 5 years back in time.

Does Olympus and the 4/3 format have such a step ahead in term of sharpness across the full field ? Did it raise my expectations too high ?

Do you think it may be a bad lens or is it normal behavior in the APS-C world ? should I return it ? or should I play it safe and return both the K30 and lens ?. That's where the kit lens would have been handy but with only one APS-C lens it's hard to judge what is going on.

Any comment would be appreciated..I feel like I lost all my references with this new hardware... but not necessarly in the good direction.

thanks...

Olympus E-450 Pentax K-30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow