Started Dec 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John.Laninga
Senior MemberPosts: 1,807Gear list
Like?
LX7 vs. RX100 - last post
Dec 8, 2012

To wrap up this comparison of two cameras I own, here are some findings based on results at a night shoot.  This was at the excellent Chihuly Night Exhibit in Dallas, totally sold out all year.  There were many photographers with all kinds of equipment.  I had my LX7 and RX100.

Note that this is a users comparison, not an equipment test.  The idea was to let both cameras do their thing and lets see which one was preferred.

Both cameras were set an A mode, Natural, no sharpening, NR, or anything.  Since with max zoom the LX7 is f2.2 and the RX100 f4.9, I set both to ISO AUTO, but the LX7 with a max on 1600 and the RX100 6400, making up for about the 2 stop difference.

The RX100 behaved as expected, but consistently moved to the higher ISO (and faster shutter speeds).  The LX7 on the other hand consistently chose lower ISO and VERY low shutter, way down to 1/8s.  Too low for handheld I thought, but I took some shots anyway.  To try to level the playing field, I used both P mode and M mode to bring up the shutter.  All in all, I took somewhere around 75 images with each camera.

Then, I dumped all images into Capture One and selected my dozen or so favorites.  Surprise surprise, both cameras did well.  I was blown away by the IS of the LX7, making low shutter speeds possible, even handheld.  Below I have posted some of the shots.

In the final analysis, both cameras did an excellent job for such a small package.  My conclusion:  The LX7 has an excellent lens with a good sensor; the RX100 has a good lens with an excellent sensor.  I guess I'm keeping both.

John.Laninga's gear list:John.Laninga's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow