Nexus 7 for Photographers?

Started Dec 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
gail
Forum ProPosts: 13,421Gear list
Like?
Re: Nexus 7 for Photographers?
In reply to martinto, Dec 8, 2012

martinto wrote:

I am considering a Nexus 7 for showing photos to use as an portable portfolio. I have read negative comments from tablet reviewers that the screen has issues losing details in the highlights and the display produces washed out images and colors due to poor calibration in the firmware.

I find this to be untrue. Images look excellent on my Nexus 7. I do process them in Photoshop first, so don't know if this has anything to do with it. But the images look just as well on my notebook as they do the Nexus 7.

I don't know if this as a fair comparison, it is certainly not scientific. But here is a comparison photo of an image I've edited and a screenshot taken with my N7. Please note the screenshot was saved as a .png but I opened and saved it as a .jpg in photoshop so there is probably some loss of detail:

Image processed in Photoshop

N7 screenshot

The images look better on the N7 screen than the screenshot but it gives you some idea about gradation, etc. I have my tablet set on auto brightness, which is generally not very bright.

Secondly, can you copy photos/files to and from the tablet using a OTG host cable to interface to flash drives or card readers

Yes, this question has been answered by another forum member so I won't repeat it.

I personally have no need to use a OTG host, nr transfer images via the usb cable. What I do is upload them to Picasa web albums and they can be easily viewed with the N7 Gallery App. I also upload images to pBase and can view/download them from there.

I haven't been overly impressed with photo editing apps. They are relatively unsophisticated at this point in time and, though I can be wrong, seem mostly for covering up some of the shortcoming of photos taken with a Camera Phone by letting you apply effects and overlays. Of all I've tried though, I like Pixlr Express by Autodesk the best.

FWIW, I've written a about the Nexus 7 in my blog. The N7 is my first tablet (and I've never owned a smartphone) so the information, including comments on photo apps, is relatively basic but can be helpful to first time tablet users.

-- hide signature --
 gail's gear list:gail's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS M
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow