"Did you 'photoshop' that?" In your best moments, how do you respond to that?

Started Dec 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Natural Mysteries
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
"Did you 'photoshop' that?" In your best moments, how do you respond to that?
Dec 8, 2012

By "best moments" I mean, when you respond in a way that is respectful of the other person.  How have you handled that assertion?

(I do commercial work to make the money to allow me to photograph with the best equipment I can afford, do a variety of short trips on my schedule to photograph, and then print and frame what I think is inherently beautiful.  I don't feel any need to enter a contest to prove my work is beautiful.)

I've like what Rumi said "Make what you love, be what you do."

Or from the potter's world, "What art can ompared with ours, for pots are made of what we potters are."  that can be said of our world and many kinds of art worlds.

Or from the painter's world, say Monet, how easy it was to simply take a brush and paint one's vision and not what was literally in the scene.

Or Susan Sontage who wrote so well in About Photography, how photography has been confused in the ppopular mind, between portraying what is literally true that can be used in a courtroom, to what Ansel Adams did with Moon Rise over Hernandez, where he worked from the candle power of the moon, with everything else flat and low contrast, and created a high contrast, compelling vision.

Oh yes, and that wonderful and thought provoking book showing photographs of Ansel Adams of the scene that was the source of a painting by Georgia O'Keeffe.  Both were free to create their vision of what they saw.

So what are your best responses to superficial demeaning comments, (maybe a smile with silence) given the highly personal nature of what we create?

John with the floppy hat

Natural Mysteries's gear list:Natural Mysteries's gear list
Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow