Silky Pix tiff conversion from RAW

Started Dec 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Vic Chapman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,240Gear list
Like?
Re: Silky Pix tiff conversion from RAW
In reply to Randy Benter, Dec 8, 2012

Randy Benter wrote:

DNG Converter, ACR and Lightroom all use the same engine. There is no advantage to converting to DNG, then opening in ACR. This will give the same results as opening the raw file directly with ACR.

Using SilkyPix to convert the image to tiff before opening in LR or ACR will use the better demosaicing algorithm of Silkypix, but there are different problems with this method. SilkyPix cannot extract as much DR from raw files as Adobe can. SilkyPix desaturates shadows with color noise reduction even if you set all NR sliders to 0.

Sorry Randy - I should have explained that I only have CS5 which doesn't support RAF files so I use the DNG converter (as a standalone ap), to do a batch conversion then I open the DNG files in ACR.

I have also used Silkypix to convert with fairly minimal pp to tiff so I can then open them in NX2 or CS5. Currently I'm also attempting to come to terms with Silkypix itself (with the help of Trevor G's tutorials), with any luck Adobe will have sorted out a really good converter before then and I'll buy into LR.

Vic

-- hide signature --

The sky is full of holes that let the rain get in, the holes are very small - that's why the rain is thin.
Spike Milligan

Vic Chapman's gear list:Vic Chapman's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow